Thursday, February 20, 2014

Creativity motivates

Recently I've discovered a new thing about myself.

(Actually it's probably not that new - but I've never really thought about it before!)
I need to do something creative, on a regular basis.
I'm not actually sure what a "regular basis" means, but I've noticed that during spans of time when I don't make anything or design anything, my brain gets flustered and tired, I'm not easily distracted and bored, and I can't seem to do anything else productively.

On the other hand, when I am able to do something creative, I find that during work, or house-keeping, or even cooking, I have a much better line of focus and I seem to be able to do things faster! Maybe that's just a matter of psychology.

Anyhow - that led me to think, What does creativity entail?

For me, lately, it's included flower arranging, web design and developing, tailoring old clothes, trying out new dishes, building a lightbox, gift-making and card-writing...

Oddly enough, it doesn't include knitting or crocheting! Those are the first two things that I initially thought about.

Maybe it's because I haven't tried anything new in knitting or crocheting in a while. Perhaps, then, it's not so much about the craftiness of it, but about how much it is a new sort challenge?

Hopefully the next challenge I'll be able to take is responsive web design...

Some recent projects: 
Website is now up and running: www.bingjiehu.com
 
Macarons and cake pops
 
Paper cutting (horse pattern from
http://fxpapercut.com/year-of-the-horse-2014-pop-up-card/)

Some jewelry 
Making orange juice. Ok, not very exciting but very delicious!


Flower arrangements


Here's to more creative times! :)


3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. When I don't write, I feel constipated. ;-) Keep creating! Also, I can't seem to open your website? :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene! THanks! :) Also hmm, can you tell me what browser you're using? I was able to open it ok just now but it could be down in some locations!

      Delete