Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Proprioception [a study break]

From Wiki (because Wiki is always right):

Proprioception (pronounced /ˌproʊpriːəˈsɛpʃən/ PRO-pree-o-SEP-shun); from Latin proprius, meaning "one's own" and perception) is the sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body. Unlike the six exteroceptive senses (sighttastesmelltouchhearing, and balance) by which we perceive the outside world, and interoceptive senses, by which we perceive the pain and the stretching of internal organs, proprioception is a third distinct sensory modality that provides feedback solely on the status of the body internally. It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other.
public class Proprioception
{
     //I have a very bad sense of self. Let me enumerate.
     enum ProprioceptionFail {Trip, Bump, Miss};
     
JK D: Actually not. Because this is a study break from CS, I may as well continue it. 


Example 1: Tripping on nothing
Scenario: I am walking along a flat, level surface, when I will suddenly trip over nothing.
Explanation: Because I am not quite aware of my own footing, I will place one foot in front of the other when the other has not yet properly made room for the one. Thus, there is an unfortunate series of events which may lead to a fall, or if lucky, an awkward stumble. 


Example 2: Bumping into various objects
Scenario: Upon leaning down to sit on the chair, I hit my head on the shelf of one of the cubicles in Wellesley's Science Center.
Explanation: I do not know where my head is, or am not aware/forget that it extends beyond the reaches of my eyes. 

Commonly Misinterpreted Scenario 1: I am leaning against a wall, and look up when someone calls my name. At that moment, I hit my head on the wall-lamp behind me.
Explanation: This is not an example of poor proprioception. Rather, this is an example of poor recognition and awareness of one's surroundings. I.E. the wall-lamp is not an extension of one's body.


Commonly Misinterpreted Scenario 2: I am attempting to pass through a narrow opening. My packages (backpacks, purses, luggage, etc) are larger than this narrow opening, and I thus am jolted back after a portion of my body enters. 
Explanation: Again, this is not an example of poor proprioception. Instead, it is an example of poor recall of the size of one's belongings. Take note.


Example 3: Missing my mouth with the eating utensil
Scenario: I am sitting at the dining hall, and when I bring the spoon/fork to my mouth, I miss. This typically results in a smeared nose or cheek or other part of my face.
Explanation: Sadly, this poor proprioception often is accompanied by a vast hunger for physical food, but in the rush of trying to feed myself, I will forget where my mouth is located/how to get there with arm and hand(mmer).


All in all, poor proprioception is quite common in most everyone's lives. Some people just experience it more than others. Typically, this accompanies a lack of sleep and/or intoxication. Interesting that those two are neurologically equal. 

Thus, the moral that we must clearly take from this small lesson is to SLEEP often and well. That way, we can all eat/walk/live happily.
}

3 comments:

  1. Ahahaahah I love the moral of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. making sure your curly braces are matched: +15 arbitrary points.

    lack of sleep == intoxication.

    or is it =?=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this is a cute post :D Today, I was walking out of the tennis court when I felt myself being jerked backwards. Then I realized that my shirt collar had hooked onto the gate handle. That is a misconception no? Hahahahahaaaa I love the examples

    ReplyDelete